DSM-V is 2013 Diagnostic Statistic Manual of Mental Disorders
Guidance from the National Center for Learning Disabilities.
(A) Yale weighs in
DSM-5 Section II: diagnostic criteria and codes
NOTES: Neurodevelopmental disorders
- "Mental retardation" has a new name: "intellectual disability (intellectual developmental disorder)"
- Phonological disorder and stuttering are now called communication disorders -- which include language disorder, speech sound disorder, childhood-onset fluency disorder, and a new condition characterized by impaired social verbal and nonverbal communication called social (pragmatic) communication disorder
- Autism spectrum disorder incorporates Asperger disorder, childhood disintegrative disorder, and pervasive developmental disorder not otherwise specified (PDD-NOS) - see Diagnosis of Asperger syndrome#Proposed changes to DSM-5
Neurodevelopmental disorders in DSM-5. DISORDERS, DEFINITIONS & CODES:
Disorders with onset in the developmental period, often before starting school, and characterized by a range of developmental deficits that impair normal functioning.
- Intellectual disability (Intellectual developmental disorder)
Deficits in intellectual functioning and every day adaptive functioning with onset during the developmental period.
- 315.8 Global developmental delay
Pertains to those under 5 years old whose intellectual functioning can not be systematically assessed.
- 319 Unspecified intellectual disability (Intellectual developmental disorder)
Used in exceptional circumstances for individuals over 5 years old whose intellectual disability cannot be assessed because of sensory or physical impairments.
Deficits in language, speech, or in any behaviors affecting verbal and nonverbal communications
- 315.39 Language disorder
Persistent deficits in comprehension or production of language (e.g. spoken, written, sign language) substantially below age level, beginning in the early developmental period, and not due to other disorders or conditions
- 315.39 Speech sound disorder
Persistent deficits in speech sound production, below that expected of age and developmental level, not due to other impairments such a physical, neurological or hearing disorders or conditions
Disturbance in normal speech patterns and fluency that interferes with normal achievement
Primary deficits in understanding and following social practices of verbal and nonverbal communication in normal settings that functionally impair the individual; not better explained by other deficits
- 307.9 Unspecified communication disorder
Clinically significant symptoms of a communication disorder, but fails to meet the full criteria for any of the communication or neurodeveopmental disorders and the clinican does not specify the reason
- 299.00 Autism spectrum disorder
Persistent communication and social interaction deficits in multiple situations; restricted, repetitive behavior and interests, originally manifested in the early developmental period and causing significant impairment
With or without accompanying intellectual impairment
With or without accompanying language impairment
Associated with a known medical or genetic condition or environmental factor
Associated with another neurodevelopmental, mental, or behavioral disorder
"Persistent pattern of inattention and/or hyperactivity-impulsivity that interferes with functioning or development" begining in childhood, and present across more than one setting
- 314.01 Combined presentation
- 314.00 Predominantly inattentive presentation
- 314.01 Predominantly hyperactive/impulsive presentation
In partial remission
Specify current severity:
- 314.01 Other specified attention-deficit/Hyperactivity disorder
Symptoms of ADHD are present and cause significant impairment in important functional areas, but do not meet the full criteria, and where the reason for failing the criteria is specified.
- 314.01 Unspecified attention-deficit/Hyperactivity disorder
Same as 314.01 above but with no reason specified or insufficient information is available to provide one
- Specific learning disorder
A neurodevelopmental disorder of biological origin manifested in learning difficults and problems in acquiring academic skills markedly below age level and manifested in the early school years, lasting for at least 6 months; not attributed to intellectual disabilities, developmental disorders, or neurological or motor disorders
- 315.00 With impairment in reading.
- 315.2 With impairment in written expression
- 315.1 With impairment in mathematics
Specify current severity: