Dyscalculia.org's Math Remediation Program
Goal: Every student achieves fluency in the language of mathematics.
Dyscalculia.org's program directly targets KEY DEFICITS in:
- Working memory
- Retention (long-term memory)
- Visual memory
- Visual-spatial perception, processing, reasoning, and memory
- Visual-spatial-directional-sequential perception, processing, and memory
- Sequential memory
- Procedural memory
- Retrieval (access to memory)
- Sensory-motor integration
- Muscle memory (ex. finger agnosia)
- Number sense (conical patterns, subitizing, coorespondence)
- Mental quantitative reasoning
- Place value understanding
- Math Language fluency
- Automaticity with language, symbols, relationships, combinations, "facts"
How it works:
- Students EXPERIENCE all concepts with money and languag
- Students are not expected to MEMORIZE anything
- Students EXPERIENCE all quantitative concepts while
using simple visual patterns and while verbalizing in the language of Mathematics.
- Students deeply understand and communicate understanding through
experience, and explanations (spoken, demonstrations, written) - student must teach.
- Students achieve fluency in the Language of Mathematics
(symbols, patterns, relationships, rules, written, spoken, decoding, encoding, interpretation, translation)
- Student uses numbers in the news to demonstrate understanding:
decoding, interpretation, relevance, problem-solving, encoding, context, consequences.
- Students quickly understand very large and very small numbers
(form 100-septillion to 100-septillionth) using a place value chart, money,
and the language of Mathematics (ex. common number prefixes).
- Student can perform addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and conversions
without arithmetic, by using a place value chart and knowledge of the language of Mathematics.
- Because students have deep understanding of the Decimal System, simple patterns,
and the language of Mathematics, they can mitigate memory problems
with verbal reasoning, simple patterns, while using simple strategies to minimize errors
during decoding, reasoning, and encoding.
- Realistic teaching money (bills and coins) 100-septillion to 100-septillionth
- Decimal Place Value Chart w/ Math Prefixes: 100-septillion to 100-septillionth
- Visual Pattern Reference Chart [1 to 10]
- Instructional Scope and Sequence
- Instructor, trained to recognize and mitigate the characteristics of dyscalculia
- Online Lessons
- Data Sharing (efficacy documentation)