Here you will find programs and tools to enable you to manipulate ideas, formulate understanding, and communicate effectively. The learning disabled community is notorious for its inventions and innovations (light bulb, automobile, airplane, George Lucas, Walt Disney, etc.). Learners who are marginalized in school often defy the odds and change the world. Innovation by nature occurs in the margins.
Today, as we create and communicate with technology, these tools will empower the creative genius of teachers and students alike. We have the tools to be producers of knowledge, instead of just consumers.
(1) If we learn instructional design, we can use screen capture tools like Camtasia, SnagIt, and Jing to create our own e-tutorials and multi-media communications. This powerful exercise takes students from passive learning to constructive applications and working knowledge.
(2) The Promethian Boards in schools come with creative multi-media software for screen capture, screen casting, graphics development and presentations.
(3) CAST UDL Book Builder: Free, online multi-media book creation tool. Ensures the elements of Universal Design for Learning to effectively reach all students, regardless of disability.
(4) CAST UDL Science Writer: Free, online multi-media report creation tool. Breaks down report into sections. Manages drafts, revisions, edits. Text-to-speech feedback, reads your work aloud. Journal and checklists for notes and data. Dictionary, grammar and spell check. Animated helpers and examples.
(5) Lots of CAST resources for students, parents and teachers:
Best Tools >