1. Entry Skills Test: Before instruction, test of Prerequisite skills needed to begin instruction.
2. Pretest includes key skills in the needs analysis and the instructional GOAL, to determine the content of instruction. (not always necessary)
3. Practice Tests enable periodic learner rehearsal during instruction, provide feedback, and inform lesson-level pace, mastery & effectiveness.
4. Posttests are comprehensive assessments to measure all of the instructional objectives of the instructional goal to inform Designer of effectiveness of each instructional item.
FORMATIVE EVALUATION of INSTRUCTION:
Informs content refinement for each test, and sometimes the elimination of #1 and #2.
TEST DIRECTIONS include:
1. Test title suggests content
2. Statement explains the objectives or performance to be demonstrated
3. State amount of credit for partially correct answers
4. Advise to guess or not?
5. Spelling counted?
6. Identify yourself by ....
7. Specify limits: time, words, space, tries, etc.
8. Specify tools needed: #2 pencil, Scantron, booklet, URL, clicker, book, calculator, map, etc.