MATH LD: DIAGNOSTIC GUIDELINES & DEFINITIONS
(1) Diagnostic reports should comply with the Quality Guidelines for Disability Diagnosis in Post-secondary Education as outlined by AHEAD, the Association on Higher Education And Disability (ahead.org). See Best Practices for LD documentation attached to this page below.
(2) DSM-V (2013) Fact Sheet on Specific Learning Disorders
(3) US DEPT OF EDUCATION OFFICE OF SPECIAL EDUCATION PROGRAMS:
Identification of Specific Learning Disabilities (10/04/06):
...may determine that a child has a specific learning disability, as defined in 34 CFR 300.8(c)(10), if:
• The child does not achieve adequately for the child’s age or to meet State-approved grade-level standards in one or more of the following areas, when provided with learning experiences and instruction appropriate for the child’s age or State-approved grade–level standards: Oral expression; Listening comprehension; Written expression; Basic reading skills; Reading fluency skills; Reading comprehension; Mathematics calculation; or Math problem solving.
• The child does not make sufficient progress to meet age or State-approved grade-level standards in one or more of the areas identified in 34 CFR 300.309(a)(1) when using a process based on the child’s response to scientific, research-based intervention; or the child exhibits a pattern of strengths and weaknesses in performance, achievement, or both, relative to age, State-approved grade-level standards, or intellectual development, that is determined by the [IEPT] group to be relevant to the identification of a specific learning disability, using appropriate assessments, consistent with 34 CFR 300.304 and 300.305; and the group determines that its findings under 34 CFR 300.309(a)(1) and (2) are not primarily the result of: A visual, hearing, or motor disability; Mental retardation; Emotional disturbance; Cultural factors; Environmental or economic disadvantage; or Limited English proficiency.
(4) Diagnosis & Management of Dyscalculia (NIH.gov, 2012)
(5) Michigan Department of Education's Criteria for Diagnosing Specific Learning Disability (2010)
*PDF of this document is attached below.