Guidance: 17+


  1. See if your university has an Education Neuropsychology Department or an Education Psychology Department that performs testing for learning disabilities like dyslexia, dyscalculia, and dysgraphia, and can also screen for auditory processing disorder.

  2. If you would like a diagnostic evaluation through, please follow these instructions.

  3. Those between the ages of 1 and 21-26 (varies by state) are also entitled to free testing through their local public education service district. (find my state's special education office)

  4. Adults (18+) and high school seniors (17+) can get help through the State Rehabilitation Services Office (find my state's VRS office).

To start, do the following:

  1. Begin a formal journal/binder to track documents, process & progress.

  2. Journal details of every action, conversation, & relevant experience and put a copy of all documents and emails into the binder.

  3. Fill out the LD Checklist and the Dyscalculia Checklist.

  4. Read up on the learning disabilities indicated on your checklist.

  5. If you are 17 to 21-26, compose a letter addressed the special education director or your local school district, requesting a comprehensive evaluation for specific learning disabilities in the areas indicated on your checklist. Attach the completed checklists and make yourself a copy before sending. Send it certified mail, by e-mail, or hand deliver it.


  1. Adults should compose a letter addressed to the State Rehabilitation Coordinator for your zip code requesting that you be tested for disabilities in the areas indicated on your checklist. (You must apply to the agency for help and meet eligibility tests.)

  2. If you have health insurance that covers outpatient psychological services, seek a comprehensive neuropsychological evaluation for learning disabilities. If not, seek an evaluation for learning disabilities by an educational psychologist. Be sure to give the doctor a copy of your checklist!

  3. The public school district has 60 days to schedule the evaluation after receiving your written request or a teacher referral.

  4. Private school students still get testing and services for free through their resident public school district (age 1-21/26).

  5. The public school district's evaluation must be completed within 60 days and must conclude with an IEPC (Individual Education Programming Committee) meeting, held at a convenient place and time for all participants. The IEP will include a TRANSITION PLAN.

  6. Create a Self report outlining the student's strengths, weaknesses, and the success or failure of any interventions.

    • Ask the school secretary to make copies of your Self Report (1 for each participant) and present your report at the IEPC meeting. Insist that it be part of the IEP record.

    • Never sign the IEP papers at the meeting. Always take them home and review them with an experienced special education advocate.

  7. Once you have a diagnosis and recommendations, take your documentation to your employer, advisor, college dean and director of special student services to arrange for appropriate accommodations and assistive technology.

  8. Read about Law concerning College Students with Disabilities; Self-Advocacy in College; and a Supreme Court Judge with Dyslexia.


For more information, consult the primer on Special Education Law & Process.

We would be happy to provide you with diagnostic, consulting, advocacy and remedial services.

Please contact us with your concerns.

Yours in education,

The Team